Published: March 14th, 2020
Last Update: April 2nd, 2020
This is an update on coronavirus 2019 (COVID-19) from KARATARAKIS SA. that owns and manages Lato Boutique Hotel, Olive Green Hotel and Legacy Gastro Suites, in Heraklion, Crete. It is also a log of actions, immediately updated on any information and/or action taken on the evolution of the covid19 situation.
We announce that Lato Boutique Hotel will continue to operate following the government’s decision of March 19, 2020 and the decision no. 5052/24-3-2020 of the Minister of Tourism.
We reassure that the health and safety of our employees, visitors and the local community remains our top priority. During their stay, guests of our town are kindly requested to study the necessary COVID-19 advice for travelers by the Hellenic Organization of Public Health and to have completed the required information form of the General Secretariat for Civil Protection of Greece.
As the novel coronavirus 2019 (COVID-19) is having a great global impact, we feel it is important to reach out to you the actions we are taking across our properties to help keep our guests, our team members, and our community safe and healthy.
Since March 13th, 2020 our company has taken the following actions:
- As of March 13th, 2020 we inform that our restaurants will not serve non-residents of our hotels until further notice, following the instructions of the government's orders and national health services.
- As of March 14th, 2020 we temporarily suspended the operations of Olive Green and Legacy hotels. Our services were limited to Lato Boutique Hotel only. Meanwhile, we modified the operation of the hotel by implementing new procedures and shifts always in cooperation with the departments. We also do not provide services to the non-residents (BNQ, restaurant, concierge, etc).
- We provided all the technical means to the administration staff, to work from home.
- For the employees of the operating departments who will attend their daily shifts:
- Restrictions for a limited number of people in the area are respected.
- We proactively provided all protective equipment.
- We continue to constantly disinfect work surfaces as well as areas (both public and private).
- We postponed all scheduled group meetings until further notice.
- We took measures so as to limit social hubs and keep a safe distance between staff (2+ meters).
- We closed the staff meeting place in Lato until further notice. Employees take their break inside and/or outside the hotel.
- We advised employees, who due to the measures must refrain from their work, to stay at home following the instructions of the national health services. Our company immediately provides employees with information about the government's emergency measures, which are implemented in full.
- We reminded that the following groups should stay at home and NOT to get to work (until the measures expire):
- Older adults over 60
- People with underlying health conditions (heart disease, diabetes, etc.)
- People who have a compromised immune system
- Pregnant women
- We also reminded that the recommended daily actions that ALL of us MUST take EVERYWHERE in order to help prevent the spread of respiratory viruses:
- Wash hands frequently with soap and water for at least 20 seconds and/or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Avoid touching the eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Cover the mouth and nose with a disposable tissue or sleeve when coughing or sneezing. Discard tissue immediately into a closed bin.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Stay at home when sick.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces
- As of Monday the 23rd March 2020, following the announced ban on unnecessary public movement throughout the Greek territory, we daily issue the adequate by law permission, for our employees at Lato Boutique Hotel to be able to actually arrive and leave from the property.
- On April 2nd, 2020 we paid our staff ‘s payroll for March 2020, and announce that our company:
- for the period of March 23rd to 31st, has employed by distance six (# 6) employees.
- for the period of March 23rd to March 31st, 2020, has employed twenty-six (26) employees in the operating departments of Lato Hotel.
- As of March 23rd, 2020, it has temporarily suspended employment contracts of fifty-seven (57) employees (five -5- of whom had left before March 15th, 2020)
- For March 2020, it gave two hundred and eighty-eight (288) days of normal work leave, in total, to fifty-seven (57) out of our eighty-one (81) employees.
- As part of our commitment for the health and well-being of our guests, team members, and community, we are carefully monitoring the COVID-19 situation with regular updates and guidance from the National Public Health Organization (E.O.D.Y.) and the Hellenic Ministry of Health, as well as additional government agencies and European health care agencies.
- On Monday, the 23rd March 2020, we provided the daily hotel’s guest-in-house list to the G.N.T.O Heraklion city’s service office (Greek National Tourist Organization). This will be repeated in the future whenever requested by the Hellenic Civil Protection Agency.
- Our teams across our properties conduct rigorous cleaning of all guest and meeting rooms and all public and back-of-house spaces, several times a day. Furthermore, we carefully follow cleaning, sanitation, and disinfection protocols that meet or exceed industry guidelines. These protocols, which assist in illness prevention, include:
- Regular sanitation training for our team members.
- Clearly established cleaning and disinfection cycles for all areas.
- Conspicuous placement of hand washing facilities and hand sanitizers.
- Fast response to off-cycle cleaning issues.
- Frequent cleaning and wash down of outdoor and high touch locations, including walkways, staircase, elevator.
- Given the current concerns related to COVID-19, we have increased our cleaning, by increasing the number of hand sanitation machines available throughout our properties.
Should this issue become of more significant concern in our area, we will be in line with the recommendations of the government health agencies.
Based on the guidance we've received and our general state of preparedness, we are confident our operations continue to be safe and ready to serve our guests.
I am very proud of our company's staff who in these unprecedented circumstances show a very high level of individual and social commitment and responsibility. In addition to their immediate compliance with strict hygiene, movement, gathering, and coordination rules, they are exemplary hosts.
We value each guest that honors us with a visit to our destination. The city of Heraklion, Crete.
Lefteris Μ. Karatarakis
President & CEO Karatarakis Hotels & Restaurants S.A
42 Epimenidou St.,71 202 Heraklion-Crete